1. How did the cover of VAMPED come to be?Flux, my publisher, was fantastic about asking me for suggestions, and I solicited ideas from readers of my blog (http://varkat.livejournal.com). I looked all over Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com at the covers of other young adult authors to get an idea of the style that spoke to me and then sent links to my editor. Ultimately, though, Flux put all the ideas in a big pot and stirred. I think what the whole that they came up with is even better than the sum of its parts!
2. Were you a part of the decisions about the cover of VAMPED?I was involved in the initial concept discussion, but after that the publisher just ran with it. My agent and I thought up the tagline "Eternity needs an entourage," which now appears on the cover. Aside from that, we had very little to do with it.....
3. Is the final cover what you had in mind for VAMPED?
It's even better than I imagined. I literally gasped when I first saw it (while checking e-mail at an Internet café in New York City). I loved it so much that I paid to print it out in color on the spot and flashed it at the guy behind the counter, who was a bit bemused by the whole thing. I then, of course, showed it to everyone I knew, posted it on the Internet…next I'll have T-shirts done ....
4. Is there anything you would want to change about the cover of VAMPED?
I can't think of a thing. My heroine is a high school fashionista turned creature of the night, so my very first thought was, "Gina wouldn't be caught dead with her nails that short!" But then it occurred to me—she did just dig her way out of the grave. It makes sense her manicure would be a little frayed. It's in the book, actually. She's also completely horrified at discovering she no longer has a reflection and make-up application is going to be a bit problematic for all eternity.
5. Are you happy with the final product?